Thursday, December 15, 2022

The Hungry Eye

In later life, Meleager moved the island of Kos. Heliodora had died, and now Meleager's wandering eye turned to the beautiful young men of the island, who seemed to make a sport of seducing their older admirers. The raging jealousies of Meleager's earlier poems gives way to a voluptuous appreciation of human beauty. So now I commence adapting these poems...

THE HUNGRY EYE

by Brett Rutherford

     adapted from Meleager, The Greek Anthology, xii, 106

I swear, until just now
I was deceived about Beauty.
One thing has crowded
all other Beauties out,
this one: perfect! My hungry eye
feeds on sunlight; sunlight
feeds off magnificent Myiscus.

All those I thought I adored
seem shapeless lumps, or stones
fit only for a blind man's
fancy, reading augury.

He, this one, is everything
and all things. Do my own eyes,
drunk with pleasure, fasten
on his, as soul to soul
are drawn together?


No comments:

Post a Comment