Thursday, December 22, 2022

Month of Wine

by Brett Rutherford

Since the joys of wine
are denied me, I did not think
of October as a month brim full
of alcohol, a Bacchanalia.

But then one year,
out Elsdon way in old
Northumberland,
in memory of the Baron
of my name, I heard offered
"a tankard of October."

Was Bradbury here,
I wondered? Did Shelley's
breath of autumn's being
come this far north?
No, this describes
the best and strongest
of ales, October-brewed.

In Queen Anne's day
a Tory club met secretly
in Parliament's shadow,
to drink October Ale
and hurl insults
at the hated Whigs.

Neutral the stern name
October, from Rome,
eighth calendar month,
prefix to sides, legs, and years
(-gon, -pus, -genarian),
but ask the Dutch what time
of year it was in olden times
and they say Wynmaand,
"the wine month." In

Chaucer's day it was still
known as Winmonath,
to the Jacobins in Paris,
Vendémiaire (the time
of vintage). So add I must
to every fall, a demitasse,
if not a tankard,
of October Ale.

Let the year tip tipsy
till fall-on-your-face
winter seizes all.

No comments:

Post a Comment