Wednesday, September 7, 2022

Alone in the Temple




by Brett Rutherford

      The Emperor Li Yü,
           after the death of Empress Zhou

Lord Buddha, why?

Silence.
Incense rising,
a vertical line
no breeze disturbs.
It is as though the world
stopped breathing.

That there is no answer,
is an answer.

Lord Buddha, why?
Look everywhere
inside our realm.
Are not the finest
peaks surmounted
by your temples?
Have we not carved
you into cliffs, filled
grottoes with shrines?

Do we not have as many
monks as scholars?
As many Bodhisattva
figures as soldiers?
As many stupas
as bell and drum towers?
As many prayer wheels
as chariots?

Those who would topple the last
of Tang -- they do not know you.
We fight, but of all deaths
this one death I cannot
accept with calm resolve.

She is gone! Her shroud
is even now rolled up
and carried to the chamber.
I must watch as her ashes
rise to the heavens.

Have you not taught
there is no peace
until there is no will
to war? I have no will
to war. Love was my
barricade. It fell.

The people, in loving me,
loved you, What now,
Lord Buddha, what?

Who the illusion,
you, or I?

          (Written to follow Poem 21 of my Li Yu cycle)

No comments:

Post a Comment