by Brett Rutherford
1
Harmodius, to Anakreon:
Unread, your latest scroll
its seal unbroken, too.
At noon, I send my servant hag
to hurl your scroll,
wrapped up with this one,
over your garden wall.
How passers-by will laugh
to see a withered crone
asking the neighbors
which gate belongs to you.
They’ll say Anakreon
now plunders graves
as well as cradles.
Shamed now perhaps,
you will stop those ardent letters.
Don’t put my name in your poems.
Don’t ask me to read them.
Don’t pay to have them sung
at your next banqueting.
You’re nothing but trouble for me.
You could be my uncle,
my father, even —
so no more loving glances, ever!
2
Anakreon to Harmodius:
Cupid’s bent arrows cannot return.
Cruel one, our secret is out.
My passion is over
before its egg could hatch.
I did not name you, or confess it.
“Which one,” they asked, “would Zeus,
or the fool-poet Anakreon, love best!”
You huffed about, and blushed, and preened
so much that all my readers put
two and two together and linked our names.
You did not mind my admiration
you did not mind my poems, even.
Now that your brass-faced vanity
refuses me and scorns my gifts,
I am not bound by modesty.
Henceforth I wear the badge of love
not in the heart-held lining
but on the sleeve for all to see.
Let people judge who is the baser fool:
I, the unloved lover, or you,
the worthless object of a great Desire!
— Revised 2026.
No comments:
Post a Comment