Monday, November 21, 2022

Mosquito Jealousy

 by Brett Rutherford

Adapted from Meleager, The Greek Anthology, v.152-153

1

Blood-sucking and shameless,
the little monsters come
in ones and twos, and dozens,
to pester Heliodora’s sleep.

Winged predators, be warned:
the lady must be allowed
her beauty-sleep: on this
the whole city is counting.

Here are my arms, all bare
as a I kneel at her bedside.
Am I less savory? Young veins
are pulsing with love-heat,

So have your way with me.
Here comes a cloud of your
sisters to feed on her:
One by one, must I crush you?

 

2

My vigil done, to home
and my own sleepless bed
I crept away. Just as I turned
the corner, a cloaked man,
younger and taller than me,
approached the garden wall.

I shuddered and turned
my back to him – did he pass on,
or did he leap the wall,
and is he now with her
another of her secret lovers?

One solitary mosquito lights
upon my forearm and waits
for instruction. Friend insect,
once you have fed on me,
pray land on Heliodora’s ear
and whisper this message:

"One who adores you,
kept watch at the foot
of your curtain’d bed.

"Sleep not, fair sluggard.
Have those small vampires
left you so somnolent
that someone’s arms
embracing you seem but
a dream ongoing?

"Does someone younger,
taller, yet timid in love,
sleep nestled brotherly
beside you?" Tell me,
mosquito spy and pander,
that I have nothing to fear!

O nearly-weightless monster,
had I but Hades’ or Hecate's
power, I would bulk you up
with the muscles of Hercules
and send you off to fetch her!

Do this for me, and for my part,
instead of crushing you,
blood and all, a smear
upon my fingers, I’ll give
you the hero’s lion-skin
and send you off well-armed,
demigod of Mosquito-Land!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment