Monday, August 29, 2022

Open Stacks

by Brett Rutherford

Does your library
have one too?
A special kind of reader,
I mean. I thought
to ask you, as you maintain,
as we, the open-stack
philosophy that lets our patrons
roam freely from A to Z,
zero to infinity, from LOC
to the dusty old Dewey.

Free-range readers, I call them.
We treasure those visitors
who shun the computer,
turn up their nose at car catalogs.
They want to scan, to touch,
to run their fingers along
the embossed leather spines.
They crave the accident
by which a mis-shelved book
is the very one they need.

But now we have another kind —
do you have one like this?
He, or she, or they, or it,
no taller than a ten-year-old,
began at the farthest shelf
and is day-by-day reading
the whole library. Each book
comes down into a barely
visible hand; the pages flip,
so fast you can hardly see it,
then comes a sigh, and back
the inspected volume goes.

No title goes uninspected;
down on all fours below,
or stretching itself in ladder,
it is studying everything.

One day, consumed
with the thought of a prank
in the works, I walked up
in the shadowy aisle
and touched its shoulder.
"Just what are you about?"
I asked. A light flashed.
I found myself standing
three blocks away,
behind a dumpster.

And so I write to you,
and to a few others
I feel safe to inquire of:
are you invaded, too?
How far has it read?
What happens to us all
when they reach the end
and have yet to find
the reason for our existence?

Awaiting your reply,
I tremble.

No comments:

Post a Comment