Saturday, August 27, 2022

Choosing No One

 by Brett Rutherford

     after the Chinese of Li Yü, “Yü Lou Ch’un”

The ladies have spent all evening preparing.
Just after the bath, the flesh
of consorts and concubines is white
as snow, with here and there
the blush of peach or cherry.

They all line up in the Spring Palace.
It is all for my benefit.
The phoenix flutes trill plaintively,
to make them long for me,
and me, for them,
water and cloud apart
yet yearning to touch.

As they retire, to await
decision and summoning,
the Rainbow-Dress song
goes the rounds, and fades
as the musicians stop
before each chamber.

Which one has overdone it
and fills the air with the scent
of her alluring powder?
Which one thinks
she has found a love-charm?

The aroma of their desire,
compounded by chemists
with thousand-year perfumes,
is enough to make me dizzy.

In my dark pavilion, I tap
the balustrade. Sometimes I just
pick a number; there are so many!

But then I choose: I tell
the servants to light no lanterns,
to let the red candles flutter out.

The wind is up. My horse
is in high spirits. Tonight
I will ride, and we
shall tread the moonbeams!

No comments:

Post a Comment