Saturday, October 22, 2022

Fever Dream

by Brett Rutherford

Off to the hospital then,
if it is not too late.
I go on foot, wild
the wind of late
October buffets me.

At the arrival gate
where ambulances
bring those who come
only to exit by way
of the morgue,

the Angel of Death
swoops down
along with leaves
and torn-off branches
to block my way,

a clotted cloud
made of black gauze,
a sooty skein of rag
with nothing in it.

It blocks my way,
and I must tear
this rotten shroud
away to pass.
And I do, I do.

A high-desk nurse
refuses to admit me.
"You came on foot,"
she tells me.
"That means there's
nothing wrong with you."

Around the back I go
to another wing,
where I find others
just like myself,
each swatting away
a rag-doll Reaper,
some on all fours
crawling up slope
to the healing place.

I am in and out
of a makeshift bed,
in what feels like
a basement corridor.
A robot arrives.
Prongs force my mouth
open. A light shines in.
Four beeps, a flash
of blue light,
and it wheels away.
No one explains.

At last a doctor
tells me to follow him
to a consulting room
where I am told
I have Chajeebie's
Syndrome. Thank
the gods, not COVID!
"I can't deal with another
of these," the elder doctor
says. "Call in my son."
Hand over mouth, he flees.

A nurse comes in.
"We called a car," she says.
"But what about treatment?"
I ask. "Treatment?" she scoffs.
"Don't you know Chajeebies
is a termy?"

                      "Termy?"

"A terminal condition.
You'll be gone by midnight.
The car will take you
to Allegheny Cemetery.
They'll show you a little
movie, and you can pick
a plot you like.

"Have a nice day!"

No comments:

Post a Comment