Monday, October 24, 2022

By Night and Lamp

by Brett Rutherford

    after Meleager, Greek Anthology V, 8

After so many nights,
so many sighs, so
many love-cries flung
echoing into the courtyard,

we made a solemn oath
to love and be true
to one another.
Poor as the poorest
first-year students,
what had we there
to swear by?
                         Night,
the starry night itself
we swore by, and by
the fluttering lamp
with which we found
one another's limbs
to press together,

by these we pledged.
Were you my witness,
Night? Do you remember,
Lamp, cold now in my hand
as I refill the oil?

He sits across from me,
not eating the meal
I sold my best ring to buy,
and says his mind has changed.

"Your oath!" I moan.
"To Night?" he laughs.
"To one night passing,
yes, it made you love
me better. But Day
erases Night.
Who knows what comes
tomorrow?"

                      "The Lamp?"

"It was out before
I kissed you goodbye.
New day, new wick,
new love, I say."

Shrugging, he rises,
and turns his back to me.
Fickle as running water, he!

Later, I write. The door
is open to the common
corridor. Voices I hear.
My lamp turned up, I see
three figures passing.
Someone's door opens,
closes. From there
inside, his laughter rises.

I need no Lamp to see,
eyes closed, how two on one
undress him and have their way.
Mock me, O Lamp and Night,
I have learned my lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment