Wednesday, July 29, 2020

The Story of Niobe, Part 1


This gruesome tale from Ovid encompasses the narcissist pride of a haughty ruler, fourteen murders, one suicide, and a petrifaction. Here is Part 1. The opening stanza about Arachne is the "hook" that Ovid used to connect a story to its successor.

by Brett Rutherford

adapted from Book VI of Ovid's

Part 1

A woman turned to a spider! Whoever heard of such a thing?

All the towns in Lydia trembled at the horror of it. It spreads

through Phrygia, the shattered pride of Arachne, daring to spin

and embroider in contest with Pallas Athena. Self-hanged

in spite, she is doomed to six-leggedness, to sit hungry always

at the heart of a dread weaving all know to be a place of poison.

 

You would think her friend and playmate Niobe, might weep

to recall how they ran the fields of Maeonia together,

and drank the bees’ nectar in the shadow of Mount Sipylus.

Yet the girl learned nothing from the sad example of how

the wise, concerning gods, should speak little and praise much.

Niobe had what some call pride of place, beside an artful spouse,

queen in her realm, high born and married to Thebes, but these

were motes of arrogance beside her pride of motherhood.

None need call out she was the most blessed of mothers,

since she so frequently uttered it herself. Fourteen times

blessed was her matronly belly, once even twinned!

 

Blameless old Manto, who could not help herself,

daughter as she was to Tiresias, got up with an impulse

divine and, taking a torch and banner, raised a throng,

saying to all in the marketplace, “Come, Theban women!

Go to the temple of Latona the Titaness. Without delay,

give up to her and to Apollo and Artemis, her offspring,

prayers and costly incense. Make laurel wreaths

and don them,  and follow me in loud procession!

Latona exults to speak through me!” The women obey,

and ripping from the laurels every reachable branch

they wound their brows with the sacred leaves and marched.

Up to the very moon and stars the incense rose, smoke, too

from everything else they heaped into the altar fires.

 

But last, and wrathful, comes Queen Niobe, her cohorts

of the palace unasked and unconsulted, no wreath

upon her brow, gold-and-white Phrygian robes aglow

as she steps into the shadowed temple. Crowds bow

and part; some kneel at the royal presence among them.

Manto freezes in her supplicatory pose, back turned

to the Queen and facing Latona’s time-blackened

visage. Niobe halts, compels with wrath’s eye-darts

that the priestess turn to face her. Neck, head, and crown

make her seem a giant among them. “What is this?”

she demands of them. “You would rather worship a stone,

a thing behind a curtain, an “Old One” you only know

by reputation? No incense for me? No laurels for me?

Must I be dead before the people worship me?

Do you know who my father was? Tantalus! Tantalus!

The only man ever to take food from the gods’ table.

Sister to the glimmering Pleiades my mother is.

The one who holds the vault of the Heavens

upon his shoulder, yes, Atlas himself, I call

my grandfather. I am descended from Titans

and as such I can call Zeus my grandfather, should

I ever have need to trouble him. In Phrygia,

where they know who is who, they revere and fear me.”

 

The women tremble. None say a word. Manto is like

a woman who has seen a Gorgon, no sound from her

defends the interrupted prayer to Latona, whose ears

hear all through the rude unpolished stone of her likeness.

 

Niobe cannot stop herself. “Queen of the Royal House

of Cadmus am I. The stones you walked to come here,

the walls of the palace and city of Thebes, rose up

at the magic sound of my husband’s lyre,

and the labor of the men of Thebes, those very rocks,

if they could speak, would acknowledge me.

 

“There is nothing here but a shack and a face of stone.

You all know how in the palace, the eye cannot see

the end of its wealth and splendor. Why this? Why here?

Do I not have the eye and brow and shoulders of Zeus,

the grace of a Hera if not an Aphrodite? All say it is so.

And add to this my proof of glory: my seven sons, our

seven sons, the glory of Thebes, and my seven daughters,

our seven daughters, and for them each a warrior king

to be my seven sons-in-law.  Dare you to call me proud

without warrant? Dare any of you?” All are silent.

The incense hangs beneath the temple roof.

 

Her fury at their silence rises. “So you prefer to me,

decked as you are with stolen laurels from my trees,

that Titaness Latona, daughter of somebody named Coeus,

whom no one has ever heard of — Latona, whose

pregnancy the Earth spat out, denied a spot of land

to give birth to her progeny, until the spirit of Delos

took pity and said, ‘Vagrant Titan, light down

on this vagrant island.’ Born they were, with Pity

as their stepfather and a bare rock as home,

a rock that floated hither and yon for centuries.

The land did not want her. The sea denied her.

The starry universe spat at the sound of her name.

 

“And what did Latona do? She bore two children. Two.

I have done seven times that, and might do more.

Happy am I, and blessed, and happy shall I be.

Why ask anything of all-but-forgotten gods

when you are safe with me, too great

and too well-descended to fear bad luck?

If drought comes, the stores are full. It passes.

If sickness comes, we heal the sick. Bright day

erases the drear fog of the night of the dead.

 

“Suppose some part of my tribe of children

might be taken from me? Take two, take four.

I still have five times as many as she! Latona,

as such things go, is practically childless!

 

“Go back to your looms, and to the market,

go back to your homes and gardens,” Niobe demands.

“Cast off the laurels as you pass the door.

I will hear no more of Latona.”

 

The women obey, and yet they mumble the name

of the slighted Titaness instead of that

of the proud and angry Queen of Thebes.

Manto, alone, falls to her knees and weeps.

No comments:

Post a Comment