Thursday, April 23, 2020

After the Fugue in B Minor


by Brett Rutherford

You have emerged again from the fugue,
a phantom stepped out of counterpoint, at burst
of ominous pedal point, your ululating step
fringed with chromatics — I thought I had lost
your tenor in all that tumult, or in those rules
that ban our moving in parallel steps
or ever singing in unison,

but there you are, out-of-place,
a metaphor for lutes and panegyric hymns,
my untouched cipher whom I would decorate
with myrtle. Defy, if you dare, this
     separateness
that only a Lutheran cantor could
     want to impose.

Ah, you are gone again. I have lost you.
Our voices never cross; we move in our permitted
range, remotely similar, earthbound alike,
my bass aspiring to your fanciful curves,
you in the middle voice, keyboards above,
I in the plodding pedal, trapped below.

We stay alien as much to one another
as they who soar soprano must seem
to both of us. A fugue has a cruel beauty,
as strict as military order. Meet me here
at midnight, my elusive friend! Do not
fail to appear. The cantor will be asleep,
the minister well into his ale-house slumber.

Just us, and the organist,
in the dark of the moon. The bellows-boy
will be sworn to secrecy, and pump away!
And we, we shall be free to scamper and play,
chase one another and even embrace
in chord after chord, and leaping intervals,
all rules abandoned. A Toccata! A Toccata!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment