Sunday, March 3, 2019

Through Mirrors

by Brett Rutherford

  I play you through mirrors,  
angled dreamt visions of you  
I catch in candlelight
    halfway across the crowd-cafe
  you are fun-house warped to me
  so close I can almost touch
  each peach-fuzz hair on your cheek.

    You are all there, from head  
long-haired, to slender foot,  
leaner than ever, as thin  
as depth of glass. If I
    touch this, will you yield
  to my phantom?    

I send a ghost-messenger
  to follow your double home.
    There you go. There, with you,
  she (whatever she you deign
  to possess this evening)
  leans on your shoulder.

    My mirror self will follow.
  When he returns
  I'll reap the grief  of his report.

  Your kind  can only be wooed that way.
    You do not see me looking,
  longing. You lurk in corridors
       of cold seduction,
  between the mercury and glass.

No comments:

Post a Comment