Saturday, November 24, 2018

The Sorcerer's Complaint



by Brett Rutherford


for Barbara Holland

There is no use deceiving her.
Her hooded eyes, in shadow, see
each shade and its dim penumbra.

Drinking lapsang souchong
tea at my Sixth Avenue loft,
she spies the nightshade, the wolfbane,
purpling the herbal window sill.

At pre-dawn hour when all others slumber,
she skulks by, just when my illegal pet
happens to dangle a tangible limb
out and then down the fire escape, three floors.
No one was meant to see that tentacle
as it lowered trash to the waiting can!

When she joins in my poetry circle,
my Siamese cat athwart her lap-book,
her balletic toe lifts up the carpet,
revealing last night’s chalked-in Pentagram.
“Really!” she chides. “Demons don’t answer calls
that easily, and I should know.”

From sidewalk she called, “Are you on fire, or what?”
that night my more musty conjurations
failed to clear the chimney top and gasped
out every window of my loft.
“Nothing to see!” I shouted down at her,
“A meatloaf did not survive the oven!”

Somehow one shard of carbon-clot
detached and followed her, and stayed —
I let it, to punish her being so much
in the way of learning my business.

Yet she is obstinate. My tea and talk
are just too much to her liking, so back
she comes, her raccoon-collar coat turned up
against the cloud that hovers there,
on my command. Week after week,
that black and personal drizzle hounds
her Monday walks through Chelsea streets.

Umbrellas are of no avail;
they leak into her mouse-brown hair.
Wind blows the rain sideways at her
as she hurls herself among
bus shelters and doorway awnings.

There is no waiting out the storm.
The manual of sorcery explains:
it is easier to start bad weather,
than to stop it.



[Revised May 2019].

(c 1972, new version Nov 2018)



No comments:

Post a Comment