Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Getting Your Eye

GETTING YOUR EYE

by Brett Rutherford


Your eyes eluded me again today.
Do not protest they looked for me
when I was not alert: my sole
intent was to discern
the hue of those haunted entrances
to your attention. I failed
again to catch them at home.
A momentary glimpse, between
a blink and a downward glance
showed a dark orb that flitted by,
a ghost traversing your cornea,
gone before I could capture it.
The appetizer came and went.
The main course was finished off
A costly dessert arrived. You smiled.
It slowly vanished in dainty bites
displaying your every perfect tooth.
I have memorized your ear-tracery.
I could draw your nose, the part
of your raven hair. But of the orbs
that guided the eating – nada.
Next time I shall come with a hypnotist,
a color chart, a spectrograph,
to map the shade and boundary
of your irises. That done,
I shall apply my finer arts
toward collecting the rest of you,
for there is a blank in my book
of love-spells that reads:
"Enter eye color here (Mandatory)."
Magic is unforgiving.

Subjects: Love poems, eye color.


No comments:

Post a Comment