Thursday, January 2, 2020

Niagara and Back, 1966


by Brett Rutherford

Four days off
for holiday,
instead of turkey
and stuffing, my friend
and I decided to hitch-hike
Walt Whitman’s open road.

To where? To nowhere
or anywhere! Let’s see
how far we can go.

Five miles short
of Erie a sailor,
on leave and adrift
on his own adventure,
picked us up.

Where to? he asked.
Where are you going?
we ask. Niagara Falls,
he said, and all the way
into Canada.

Wide-eyed, we said
in unison, Then we
are going to the Falls.
We all laughed.

He never talked
about his ship or where
it took him, whether
to Vietnam or some
safe coast patrol.
You didn’t ask
soldiers why or what
they might have seen
unless they wanted
to tell someone
and said so.

Arriving at the Falls
and its noisy grandeur
we thanked our driver
and parted ways. We made
our way along the banks
above the Falls,
defied the signs and scoured
the rocky river shore
for rocks. My friend
was a geology major
and knew what does
and doesn’t belong.
I found a hollowed-out
rock almost too much
to carry about. He said
it was an Indian wheat-stone.
Into my bag it went.

Oblivious to borders
and needing no papers
we crossed to Canada.
We sampled such food
as nearly indigent
students could afford,
then reveled in sunset
and the rainbow-lit
Falls, immense
and grander by far
from foreign vantage.

Taking a cue
from a “rooms for rent”
sign, we found a room,
a tiny attic garret
that cost as much
as what our two wallets
contained, sparing enough
for one tiny breakfast.

You’ll have to share
the one small bed,

the landlady said.
It’s the last room.
She winked at me.

In minutes we were in the dark
and under one tiny blanket.
My friend said,
If you touch me, I’ll kill you.

So much for Walt Whitman.

Next morning we found
the cheapest diner
and spent our last coins
on bacon and eggs.

Hearing our talk,
the man next to us turned.

It was the sailor again.

Things didn’t work out,
he said. I’m heading back.
Are you guys staying or …

The unsaid was said
in that moment’s pause.
Had he planned to desert
and changed his mind?
Were we across the border
to dodge the draft?

We’re going back, I said.

I’ll take you back, then,
he offered. I kind of need
the company, you know.

At the border he showed
his military ID.
We two were asked
where we were born
and where we had been
on the Canadian side.

We went right through.
The sailor moved something
from under his seat
into the glove compartment.
Not to worry, he said.
It’s not loaded.

It was a slow trip
southward. We stopped
at Buffalo. He bought
us a welcome lunch.
Then, long after dark
he left us along
a local road somewhere
north of Meadville.

Fourteen miles
to walk
in the November night!
The withered corn
leaned dead
into the frosty air.

Yellow lights beamed
from sheltered farms
across the stippled fields.

No cars came. Not one.
We heard no sound

save that of cows
stalking the brush
beside us,

they walked,
but kept their silence.
Not one of them
had ever gone astray.

At last, in despair,
we found a sheltered spot
behind a hay-pile
and curled up to rest.
My best friend
nestled behind me for warmth.

I gazed at the unsleeping stars.
You touch me, my friend said,
and I kill you.

Good night, I answered.

Fifty, a hundred,
miles away, the sailor
pulled over on a dark road.
He reached for the gun.
Things didn’t work out.


Note: the U.S. drafted 382,010 men into military service in 1966, the highest total during the Vietnam War

No comments:

Post a Comment