Saturday, October 26, 2019

No One Will Ever Believe You....

A woman refuses the advances of the most famous and powerful man in the land. And she pays the price ... she will always tell the truth, and no one will believe her. Barbara A. Holland, writing in 1976, uses the story of Trojan Cassandra to make a point about women's credibility, and men's hypocrisy.

CASSANDRA

by Barbara A. Holland

My ears burn. The lobes are swollen.
Last night two huge and numinous serpents 
were looping across my floor. The scrape 
of their coilings against the tiles awoke me. 
They struck, each at an earlobe. 
The pain in them almost blinds me. 

When I had made poultices 
to hold to my ears, they had gone. 
Were it not for 
the ache and the swelling, the throbbing
like a signaling drum, a code,              
                                             I would think that they had only 
been forms cast by moonlight 
and branches on the floor,
              but the cruelty of the bites in my ears 
has made it clear 
to me that they had surely been s
ent in revenge by the sun,
             Apollo — 
resentment at my rejection of him.

Apollo; creeping horror.  Who would believe it 
of the daily sun-blast at the heat of noon,
           of the cheer of the elderly,
           the healer, the oracle?

My head rings 
with a discord of voices, 
the song of spears on breastplates and shields, 

words peeling in conflict 
about a thousand absurdities. They are inside 
my skull and I may not shut them out 
or muffle them. 

They prize from inside my mouth 
for release, and I must let them go.

Warning of foreign ships, 
a gigantic wooden horse 
left as an offering on the beach 
for the gods, 
the womb within it
and its disastrous litter of soldiers, 
which I cannot believe. 

Apollo, 
               refusing to accept my rejection 
has made me appear 
both lunatic and traitor 
with his poison,
                            now gnawing 
into my shoulders and scorching 
the veins 
in a neck as taut as any bowstring. 

From the forthcoming Poet's Press book, Out of Avernus: The Exiled Priestess.

1 comment:

  1. Barbara hits it on the head every single time. Thank you for posting, Brett!

    ReplyDelete