Sunday, September 15, 2019

The Harvest Moon, in Camden (Anniversarius 45)



And I came, on the night of the harvest moon,
this thirteenth tropical night of the cool ninth month,
and, as I had been beckoned by bell and raven,
I found myself before a familiar tomb,
and its door was ajar and full moon showed me
the undulating form of a great serpent
(black she was and beautiful, sleek of skin
as the Queen of Sheba) and she rose up
and welcomed me. “Enter!” she said, “You
have I called, as well as many others,
and only you have tread the dream-realm,
crossed seven thresholds to stand before me.
Are you not afraid?”

“Afraid at his tomb,
he at whose knees I learned to sing and write?
Much as I fear Death, I do not fear him!”

And a voice inside the sepulchre uttered:
“Come, be not at all fearful. Here there is peace,
though my soul is fitful and weeping.

“I am Walt Whitman, a man, a citizen of Camden.
Reach out and touch the stone of my father,
the stone behind which my mother sleeps.
Touch this rough stone behind which my bones,
my hair, my ever-sinewed limbs, cannot slumber;
least of all my two eyes, my third eye celestial,
my mouth that cannot cease its uttering.

“For it has come to me that the land is troubled.
I ask, Has it yet come to pass that a woman sits
in the chair of Jefferson and Lincoln? I fear not,
and it has come to me that the occupant who sits
in the White House in Washington is not a good
or a fair man; that his hands are full of gold
and not forgiveness; that a man who reads no books
attempts to make science; that corruption spreads
like black tar from a broken well across the land;

“That under poisoned air and water the earth quakes
fractured with the greedy extraction of gas,
that shale, which slept before the dreamings
of sauropods and tyrannosaurs, is rent
by force of water, o incompressible!
that the workmen no longer know
when their labor begins or ends, that the slaves
are not so called yet put on chains again, that men
of one color flee down the streets in terror of arms
and men of no color at all in rage pursue them;
that it is no shame among you that some are roofless
and many must bear the stain of beggary to eat;
that the sick, when they are healed, are told to pay
until their bank accounts are drained, their houses lost;
that worse than in debtors’ jails the poor abide
in tents on the sidewalk, poor-towns behind
the stench-rows of oil tanks and refineries;
that the limousine-rich sell death and addiction
while mothers plead for an unpoisoned tap
from which to feed and bathe their infants,
while the Cappuccino-fueled Civil Servant says,
“Well, everyone has to die of something”;
that refugee children are caged like rabbits;
that a man with a turban or a kippa, a woman
whose faith requires a head-scarf, shall endure
the clenched fist of an ignorant mob.

“If the occupant of the White House is not
a good and fair man, or a good and fair woman,
what hope is there for the shining star
that cannot emerge from the night-cloud?

“To these states I say, as I have always said,
but even more to the people, one by one:
Resist much, and obey little.
And failing this, must the dead emerge
from their tombs to admonish you?
Have you no poets or statesmen?”

With a great sigh, the voice went dead.
I heard only a distant siren, a gunshot,
what might have been a woman’s scream,
then silence. The great black snake,
which had stood erect through all the speaking,
sank to the granite floor of the tomb
and slid into the darkness. I stood,
my own shadow in solitary moonbeam
extended to the Good Gray Poet’s stone
at the back of his self-made mausoleum.




No comments:

Post a Comment