Thursday, February 8, 2018

The Company of an Eagle


I have a date
with my eagle lover —
bird-killing bird,
rabbit hunter,
assassin of squirrels,
sneak thief of cub and pup and kitten.
His prominence
(one- or two-headed)
on flags and coins,
seals and warplanes
must have enthralled me.
And of course he might,
just might be Zeus in disguise.
I cleared my calendar,
cleaned house,
turned balcony
into a landing pad/eyrie.
Maybe my kind enjoy
being swooped down upon.

The phone will not ring,
the door chime
hoards expectant silences.
Nothing will precede him
except an updraft
and the sound of wingbeats.

Wingbeats, yes. The dull
thud of contact, then
something rolls
into my living room,
The outspread wings and talons
guiding it.

That predator egg he brought
sits on the couch
between us,
and if it hatches,
what then of dinner and wine
and candlelight?

Will the eaglet choke down
my proffered feast,
preening his downy feathers
and asking for more?

When our entre nous
becomes a raptor nursery,
shall our tryst be forgotten?
Will his nestling stay, too,
curled in my laundry hamper?
Isn’t there a Mrs. Eagle
to take charge here?
Dare I tip-toe out and back
from the bathroom
without the admonishing screech
of its never-abating hunger?

Will he remain
to hear my poems,
to loan me his wingspan,
his shadow, his mute
but overarching company?

Or is it just about him?
“Look, I have made an egg!”
He never said there was a she-eagle,
or that he’s a single dad-in-waiting.
It may not hatch at all.
What if it’s dead?
What if it’s only good
for making an omelet?

I could have chosen wolf,
or lion, sky-hawk or tiger
as my companion.
But here we sit, the eagle,
the egg and I,
the embarrassed silence,
the shudder of wing-shrug,
the raptor eye fixed on me.

There is nothing else to do.


Slowly, I begin to undress.

Image: Magritte, Domain of Arnheim, 1938.

No comments:

Post a Comment